The history of the village of Samoëns
The historic heart of Samoëns, with its ancient Halles, church and the Big Linden, is reminiscent of a nearly millennial history and ancestral heritage. The name «Samoëns» goes back to the year 1167. It comes from a medieval expression that describes «the seven mountains» surrounding the village: Cuidex, Vigny, Folly, Oddaz, Bostan, Chardonnière, Freterolles, La Vullie. This is why the inhabitants of the village are called septimontains and septimontaines.